Kennions started in 1905 and was run until sometime after the second world war by
George Kennion and his wife. The business continued with their son Charles Kennion,
operating from Hertford and trading under the name of Kennion Brothers (Hertford)
Ltd until 1991 when Charles Kennion died. The company was then sold to Peter Harmon
who had previously (c1981) started a model engineering material supply company under
the name of GLR Distributors Ltd. On retirement in December 2012 Peter Harmon placed
GLR Distributors Ltd into liquidation. After this Richard and Tracey Clark formed
a new company to be able to continue this 107 year old business. We now operate
solely as a mail order/online business, a move which has ensured commercial viability
into the future.
We appreciate that this has disappointed some local customers but the internet has
meant that pricing has to be more competitive and there simply isn’t the margin left
anymore to cover the cost of running a premises which can be visited by (lets face
it) less than 1% of our customers.
We aim to maintain everything listed in stock at all times and routinely dispatch
orders the same or next day.
Preference tends to be given to orders placed online because the invoices are automatically
generated whereas if an order is placed by telephone then the invoice has to be generated
later in house and so these orders will inevitably be dispatched later than online
We thank our customers for the support that they have given us as we move into the
110th year of ‘Kennions’